Inadequate water intake can cause a range of complications including bladder infections, excess calcium buildup, electrolyte disturbances, fatigue, muscle spasms, and irregular heartbeat. Here are some tips for maintaining good hydration.
1. Prepare herbal ice3d tea and keep a glass at your side throughout the day. If you sip just 4 to 6 ounces every hour, you’ll reach your daily quota for fluids.
2. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. These act as diuretics, which means that they draw water for your cells and cause you to urinate more.
3. Eat more soups, stews and other watery foods. These are very easy to digest, easy to reheat and they increase your water intake.
4. Freeze ice pops, you can make these with diluted fruit juice or water.
5. Drink most of your fluids between meals so your body can focus on absorbing nutrients during meal times.
6. Eat more fruits, especially juicy ones like Watermelon.
If you are suffering from dehydration and it’s not severe. Here is a homemade recipe for an electrolyte drink.
1 quart of pure water
4 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
If it’s severe dehydration, intravenous fluid replacement may be necessary.