Here are some ways to deal with insomnia that don’t include prescription medication.
1. Guided meditations: YouTube Deepak Chopra or invest in an app like Headspace. These help quiet the mind and 99% of time I don’t even make it half way through the meditations on Headspace before passing out.
2. All natural remedies like a sleepy tea that contains Valerian. Chamomile, passionflower, hops, Ashwagandha are all amazing herbs that you can make a tea out of and consume it before bedtime. Valerian has been shown to not only help you get to sleep but also keep you asleep. *If you suffer from a liver disease or are pregnant or breastfeeding, Valerian is not for you.
3. Try to create a bedtime routine that doesn’t include stimulants like exercise or caffeine if your sensitive to those things. With that said, having a proper exercise will actually help you fall asleep, the key would be to do it earlier in the day instead of the evening if you think this may be the offender.
4. Deal with whatever shit is keeping you up. This might be as easy as talking to the person that your pissed at or it might require some professional help. Whatever it is just do it.
5. Don’t stay in bed if you can’t sleep. Get up, do a lap of the house or read a book (unless this is a stimulant for you) but don’t just lay there and get more and more frustrated. This will actual keep you up more then doing something else for a minute or two and trying again.
6. I mentioned caffeine above but it could be something else in your diet that is the reason you can’t sleep. People can be highly sensitive to refined sugars or even fruit sugars so try cutting those out of your evening snack regiment and see if that helps. If you do think it’s food related, do a food journal and compare what you ate on the nights that you couldn’t sleep. A pattern may very likely show up.
7. Use crystals: I know it sounds silly but these powerful little stones can help us in so many ways, one of which is sleeping. Amethyst, Quartz Crystal and Selenite are the most powerful crystals to help you sleep
8. Try breathing exercises, inhale for 4 counts, hold for 4, then exhale for 4. If your focusing on your breathe, your mind is less likely to wander.
You can also count your breathes, inhale is 1, exhale 2, inhale 3, etc.. the second you catch your mind thinking of something else or realize your not counting anymore, no big deal just start over.
Sometimes (once in a blue) not being able to sleep or having a hard tome falling asleep can be normal. If you’ve been burning the candle and only getting to be at 1am, then one night you can go to bed early. You might have a hard time falling asleep at 9pm or if you do, you might find yourself wide awake at 4 am because that’s the amount of sleep your body is used to. Don’t stress about these one-offs.
I genuinely hope one of these things helps you on your quest for sleep. It’s essential to living a healthier, longer and happier life so do what you need to to get it.