Asparagus has soo many health properties but can be intimidating for someone who has never attempted to cook it. It is one of those things similar to tofu that when cooked right is absolutely delicious…if not.. well it also makes really good compost. Here is an awesome, fool proof recipe to help introduce aspargus and all it’s health properties into your meal plan.
* Asparagus is packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals.
* Absolutely loaded with nutrients: Asparagus is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium.
* Along with avocado, kale and Brussels sprouts—is a particularly rich source of glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals. This is why eating asparagus may help protect against and fight certain forms of cancer, such as bone, breast, colon, larynx and lung cancers.
Asparagus Soup Recipe:
* Sauté 1 Tablespoon of garlic in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
* Add 6 cups of low-sodium broth
* 2 1/2 Lbs. of asparagus
* 6 cups of califlower
* 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
Simmer until tender, puree.
Ugh………….It’s that time of year again when everyone you know is sick. You’re washing your hands more than normal, increasing your multi vitamins and trying to avoid anyone who looks or sounds like they even have a sniffle. Here are a few other ways to help keep yourself heathly and feeing great.
1. Whenever anyone in your household or anyone that shares a common space gets sick, make sure to disinfect. I”m not talking by using harsh chemicals all you need is 2 drops of eucalyptus oil in a spray bottle of water. If eucalyptus is not your thing, just plain white vinegar cleans and disinfects just as much as any harsh chemical cleaner you can buy at the store but doesn’t leave your house covered in chemical hazard residue.
2. Get enough sleep- our bodies heal and are rejuvenated during our REM cycles so especially if you feel something coming on or are trying to ward of that bug everyone has make sure you are getting your minimum 7 hours.
3. Eat Garlic- Garlic is the best anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, health promoting food out there! Eat it on everything and eat lots of it. If you are worried that people might think that you smell like garlic don’t worry they are all stuffed up and can’t smell anyways. 🙂
4. Drink lots of filtered water- Water helps flush out toxins so they don’t accumulate and take the attention away from your body being able to fight off any infections, virus’s or bacteria not allowing them to fully exhibit themselves in your bodies resulting in a cold or flu.
5. Exercise- Based on the same principles above sweating removes toxins from your body and also helps increase your metabolic temperature. Bacteria and Virus’s dont thrive in extremely warm temperatures it’s the same reason we get a fever when we have the flu. So get your body heated up however you like running, hot yoga, involve a partner ;), etc..
6. Last one is stay positive, if you start to feel something convince yourself that it's nothing or even if it is a cold or flu that it's going to be short lived. Dwelling, complaining and whining will only prolong your illness.
As soon as anyone discovers that I’m a holistic nutritionist I always get the question “What should i be eating and why should I not?” I always joke and say don’t eat bacon and eat lots of garlic. lol But the truth is that’s a very hard question to answer. There are the obvious answers like eat Butter not margarine, try to avoid trans-fats and food that is closer to it’s natural the better but we are all sooo individually unique very often something that is good for one can be bad or even toxic to another.
I decided to try to put together a few general (and I stress general) guidelines for healthy eating. If you have any more specific questions feel free to email me.
4. **Super important** DO NOT combine any sugars with proteins and fats. For example if you have a nice piece of chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, etc for dinner than have a sweet snack within 2-3 hours after, you are destroying a lot of the goodness that we get from lean proteins. we are also not allowing the sugars to be properly digested which causes them to more than likely end up being stored as Fat. It’s actually healthier for you to eat your dessert first if you must. 🙂
5. Fats are good for you!! Contrary to this crazy phase of all fats are bad, our bodies and especially brains actual require good fats. Ideal sources are butter, olive oil, coconut oil, fish oils, nuts, seeds, avocados (yum). The fats to avoid are polyunsaturated oils like safflower, corn, vegetable oils. Avoid bad fats like deep fried foods.
I”m only going to suggest these 5 for now. Good luck on your journey to a healthier and happier you.
We all have those days where we just feel “off” especially this time of year with the days being long, cold, and dark. So here are few quick solutions to some common not-so good feelings.
Try the Achilles Stretch- In addition to stretching your leg muscles, this stimulates acupressure points in your calves and soles of the feet that signal the brain to release pain killing endorphins that can give you quick releif in seconds.
Hold the stair rail for stability, heels hanging over the edge, then drop your heels as low as possible and hold for one minute.
For a quick boost of rejuvenation try an eyelid massage- Massaging the areas’s sensory nerves stimulates the flow of oxygen rich blood to the alerness control center of your brain.
Gently massage around your eyes for 10 seconds, next use small circular motions to apply firm pressure to the bony area just below your brows for at least 30 seconds.
The sensation of something cozy touching your skin stimulates teh production of oxytocin- a neurotransmitter that improves out look and mood.
For one minute run your fingers along a soft, fuzzy sweather or blanket. Or Pet one of your animals!!
Hope these help. Enjoy!!
In this day and age everyone is looking for an easier way to eat healthy, or the quickest way to loose those extra couple pounds. Sometimes it’s not about the easiest or fastest way that gets you to your goals but eliminating refined sugar from your life could be one of those methods.
Try replacing your sugar with honey, not only are you eliminating something refined and void of any nutrients that is actually really bad for you but you are replacing it with something that will still give you that sweet tooth fix but is packed full of nutrients, good bacteria (that aids in digestion and that our body requires) and powerful antioxidants called polyphenols. Antioxidants help to get rid of the free radicals in your body that cause diseases and pre mature aging. Let me make that crystal clear. Honey helps fight wrinkles and keeps you healthy!! Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too!!
Try to find a unprocessed honey, possibly organic although no honey can truly be organic if it’s labeled the producer may have done their best to try and accomodate that.
Here is a simple and easy way to make home made mouth wash that leaves your mouth feeling clean and fresh for hours:
2 drops clove oil
2 drops cinnamon oil
2 tablespoons good-quality vodka
1 1/2 cups distilled water
1/2 cup brewed Chai tea
In a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the clove and cinnamon oils with the vodka. Add the water and tea and shake well. Keep refrigerated. Use as a mouthwash 1 tablespoon at a time.